my encounter with the god of all things!

Hellos people...
Recently Mumbai mirror dedicated pages 4 to 19 for the god of cricket - Sachin Tendulkar
About how he is the man! About he has bajaoed many a men! About how everything he is!
And I don't have anything to say against it; probably will end up adding a few hundred pages more about him...
But the question is what can i write about him, that no one else has written (forget in the last 21 yrs… In the last 21 hours!)
And the answer ... I can! Impossible is nothing!
Well...This is my salaam to the most favorite person of the people of the cricketing - world! (Complicated? No its not, mite be grammatically wrong… But u get the drift!)
Every kid had, has and will have the wish to meet this great li'l man!
And I am no different. But what is different is that I did meet him. Well almost!
It was sometime in '89-'90 I was about 1/16th the size I am today in length breadth and height.
As a kid if you are told, that some guest is coming home tonite, then you... Really don't give a damn… That much. But when they follow it up with the names of the guests, generally the expression still doesn't change, may be a little if you really despise the uncle or aunty or have sheer hatred for the cousin who takes away your games, and so on. So I was expecting something similar to happen. But something was very different with my grandfather, as in the way he was talking, I sensed that this is not one of those irritating relatives; it has to be someone new... So my curiousness was high but excitement zero. And then as i had least expected came the name... Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble! I didn't care so much about the later, rather I don’t even know if I heard the latter. It was sheer pandemonium going on in my head. My brain was refusing to accept the info that both the ears had given it. It was unbelievable. I was in awe, shock and loss of words! I think my next reaction was more physical than screaming… I was a pinch short of doing cartwheels … but like now, back then too I was hesitant to put the house through such trouble. So I think I just ran around the house screaming and making sure everyone heard me… at least 23425234 times!
I think that was the last I spoke about it, coz I was warned, that if this news gets out in the colony, that’s it for me! And unlike nowadays, those days I took threats really really seriously; coz they meant losing out on the favorite banana chips and cartoons.
Anyways, so the whole day I was really excited about the evening, and when evening came I was back in the house after my daily dose of evening cricket way before my time. It was the first and probably the only time in my summer vacation that my grandpa and the rest saw me in the house before sunset. Had to look at my best. And was doing all I can before I heard the dreaded news… no the visit was not cancelled, it was delayed… a little upset, I was still excited and took it into my stride, took my daily dose of television… then dinner… now what? Still time to go… I wasn’t into reading so much… and there was no computer that time… so did some time pass and then passed out. But not before warning everyone in the family and threatening them with dire consequences if I wasn’t woken up once they came. I think I was really tired being so excited the whole day… you know its too much to take as a kid, plus the pressure of not making a fool of yourself in front of the god! So I slept… and then suddenly woke up in a while… well at least I thought it was.
I woke up with nice bright sunlight in the room; with grandpa and uncle reading newspaper and everyone behaving like nothing had happened. The first thing that came to my mind was that they cancelled at the last moment, and that’s why no one woke me up. So I walked up to my grandpa and asked him directly, why did they cancel?
And then came the worst reply I had ever heard… “No! They didn’t cancel, they came and they went!”
I froze!
I refused to believe him, coz I couldn’t comprehend the fact, that my family actually didn’t wake me up… forget about the cruel gesture towards a child’s excitement… but they didn’t even get threatened by my threat!?!? It was just hard to digest this.
And as I sat there trying to understand why my family did that… I came to know the truth… and then till today I still can’t understand why my family did THAT!!! Apparently, Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble did come, and I WAS woken up. But since I was so tired with all the excitement, I refused to get up! And not only that… I was dragged outside in the semi conscious state, and produced in front of the visitors like a lifeless puppet and then shaken… and shaken again… and then some more till all my self-respect, all my dignity fell out of my body. And apparently I mumbled something, so I was taken inside and put on the bed! (I think that was one of the reason why I decided to be a heavy boy… so atleast the next time I wouldn’t be carried like this, shaken and then put back!)
Anyways, so this is the story of my first ever face to face meeting with the man himself – Sachin Tendulkar (well, we were face to face… just that one of us was unconscious)
And btw, it was not very long that I had to wait for my next encounter with him, coz shortly we went out for dinner… but that story some other day… for now you can laugh on the one I just narrated!!!

Comments

  1. so sweet - I can actually see you..while i read what you've written....but then i guess we all have our share of nearly's....nearly met, nearly did, nearly bumped into, nearly got away with.....atleast you have the sequel to wait for...some don't even get that! Sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...lol stuff this is. Gr8..ya..well..definitely..

    ReplyDelete
  3. he sure has a great influence in every aspect of our lifes. eg: you getting fat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good going man.. love the piece...

    ReplyDelete
  5. :D :D :D :D :D
    I absolutely love this piece. I could actually feel your insane excitement, the wheels turning furiously in your head as soon as you heard who was coming, your shock!

    Well, nice to know there's a happy sequel coming up! Can't wait to read that, addy daddy :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Make a wish come true!

my first attempt...